There’s no one here in the library right now, so I’m pretending to look busy. Here’s a rundown of all the girls Leonard have started relationships (brief or otherwise) and my opinions on them.
1. Penny - That semi-attractive neighbor he immediately falls in love with. I don’t understand the attraction at all. They share no common interests other than poking fun at Sheldon and getting drunk. Her constant jibes at Leonard’s geeky passions annoys me to no end.
2. Joyce Kim - A former girlfriend who turned out to be a North Korean spy. Don’t you hate it when something like that happens? Yeah, that wouldn’t have worked out.
3. Leslie Winkle – A fellow CalTech scientist who only slept with Leonard to satisfy her libido. As much as I enjoyed seeing a David/Darlene reunion, I didn’t see that relationship working out either.
4. Stephanie Barnett – A doctor and surgical resident who Howard picked up in a bar, but went home with Leonard and dated for several weeks. Now this is the first relationship in the show which I could see working out. She was slightly overbearing and perhaps a bit clingy, and the show never really portrayed any geeky interests, but I felt that the relationship was way more stable than the Leonard+Penny one.
5. Elizabeth Plimpton - A popular physicist who Sheldon invited to stay over, and who ended up hitting on, or sleeping with, all the guys including Leonard. Nope – that relationship would’ve never worked.
6. Priya Koothrappali - Raj’s sister. Another non-geek Leonard has been with who to me was just a smarter, foreign version of Penny – complete with jibes at his geeky passions. And like Leslie, probably only slept with Leonard to satisfy her own libido and to annoy her brother and parents.
7. Alice – A comic book artist he met at The Comic Book Store. She was absolutely perfect for him. I hate that she’s only in one episode, and that their relationship ended so quickly because Leonard felt guilty for betraying Priya, who ended up cheating on him. The dialogue below from where they first meet was spectacular and cemented my opinion on why a Leonard+Alice relationship would’ve been one of the best relationships on television.
Alice (to Leonard): Are you getting this Next Men?
Leonard: Uh, yeah. It’s issue number 21. First appearance of Hellboy.
Alice: I know. I’ve been looking for it for years.
Alice: Hey, if I pretended to hit on you, could I distract you enough to sneak it away?
Leonard: Yes, but you’d be using your superpowers for evil.
Alice: Damn, I’m forbidden by my Kryptonian father to do so. I am Alice.
Alice: You are very cute, Leonard.
Leonard: Thanks. You, too. You know, go ahead and take it.
Alice: No, no. No, no, I, I, I did evil. Would you be open to a trade?
Leonard: Uh, yeah, yeah, sure, I guess.
Alice: Okay. Here. This is my number, call me.
Leonard: Sorry, palm’s a little sweaty. What’s that word?
Leonard: Oh, right, your name. That makes more sense than penis.
8 . Alex Jensen - a CalTech graduate student hired by Sheldon to be his assistant. Alex was fairly attracted to Leonard and flirted with him constantly. Leonard, of course, was oblivious to all of it because of his loyalty to Penny. She’s no longer on the show, probably because of her bigger role in NCIS. Nonetheless, this would’ve been a way better relationship than Leonard+Penny.
9. Joy – An overly obnoxious lady that Leonard was set up with on a double date with Howard and Bernadette. Didn’t think it was possible, but they developed a character less suited to be in a relationship with Leonard than Penny.